Monday 14 October 2013

Pulling Everything Inwards

So, its been four months since the last blog. Get ready to be blown... away.

Heard some funny news today. Ben Wheatley, the current flavour of the month in terms of British indie film talent will be directing two episodes of Doctor Who. To those who aren't familiar with Ben's body of recent work then the mention of his name will be held in the same esteem as Graham Harper and Euros Lynn, just another name working on the TV show. However, for those who have seen films such as Kill List and this years A Field In England, the fact that Ben is directing episodes of a BBC produced television show is big news indeed.

So, why is this good news?

Because it gives an immense sense that "if that guy can get there, then so can I"

Last year after the completion of 2012's thriller ForeverTogether (Which has been invited to screen in French Polynesia by the way) I made a bold prediction about the fate of its three writers and where they would ultimately end up. Scott would be the man responsible for the new Jason Statham action movie Carcrash Transporter Cellphone Bandit. Elinor would be wooing the West End with her art house classic theatrical event Bird On The Toilet and I myself would be sat in a BBC kitchen in Roath Locke discussing storylines for series ten of Doctor Who with Toby Whithouse, "It involves these caves and a trapped baby robot elephant...."  Now, nearly 2 years on do I feel any different to that initial prediction?

Well, yes and no.

It was with a very giant leap of faith that I decided to found PixieFairie Media and start to play by the rules. In 2012 I just spent money on projects and planned projects without any regard for income or cost. By July I'd three projects completed, but the entire budget of 2013 had been blown. Something happened on the approach of 2013 that I don't always admit to, an outbreak of common sense. I've never been sharp enough or practical enough to be able to deal with dailies. It is my good friend @RatedR1882 who has an A Level in Business Studies. But, I had to learn to be disciplined and to do things professionally and properly. So 2013's budget had to include festival entry fees, capital expenditure and project budgets. Which unfortunately has a knock on effect in terms of actual productions, because instead of drinking from the well, the well is now capped.

So here's the thing, 2013 hasn't been as big as 2012 in terms of quantity of productions. But, just as 2012 was a case of learning about how to mount productions, 2013 has been about marketing them. (See previous blogs)

So what happens in 2014?

More of the same, I think. Capital expenditure slows down because sound gear, lighting gear and various props have all been bought this year. Camera equipment is the first order for next year, then I would say that all the basic components are there. I have fingers crossed for the next instalment of the Roulette Of Horror story to go in front of the cameras, Scott Baker has a lovely idea in development that's part Hannibal, part When Harry Met Sally. Elinor's 12 Days Christmas Tale and my own The Christmas Guest, not to mention the possibility of seeing Jenn Bee's animation, and the music video for a song by folk group Roholio. I'm even toying with the idea of pushing together a last minute Broken Nation short film before Rick McCleod's Celtic Storm Films starts on principle photography. If in January you'd have told me that Keith Duffy and Bill Maynard would be reading words that I had written in front of a camera I would have laughed at you. But that's another part of my life.

A few weeks ago I had a coffee with my dear friend (the aforementioned RatedR) and he told me about PMA, the power of positive thinking. Self belief and self confidence are incredibly fragile things, even people who are working with you can work against you without them knowing it. I think that maybe I'm starting to learn that now, that the only person you can rely on is yourself, but surround yourself with good talented and above all supportive people and with hard work and a wicked sense of fun, one day you could be responsible for a couple of indie films and be working on Doctor Who...







ADVERTISEMENT.
PixieFairie Media & Shoot Immortals present.... The Christmas Guest
Starring Emma Beaver, Francesca Totti and Robin Booth.

No comments:

Post a Comment